Sunday, November 5, 2017

School District vs. Contract

How many of you are excited that graduation is around the corner in December?!? Now, cue the panic! You need to find a JOB!



I don't know about you, but when I was getting ready to graduate last May, I was set on working in a school. Being an ESE teacher previously, schools are definitely my comfort zone. Figuring out what type of placement I wanted to work at for my CFY was pretty easy. Deciding on whether I wanted to be hired directly by the school system or work for a third party contractor was the HARD part!

Here is a breakdown of pros and cons of each:


Direct Hire:

Pros:
  • Benefits - County employees typically get good benefits that include pension and 401k matching
  • Planning time - time dedicated for material prep is provided outside of documentation time
  • Member of the School
  • Training and professional development opportunities are provided
  • Easier to order materials - some districts provide a stipend for materials
  • You get to pick your own school
Cons:
  • Additional duties (bus, lunch, RTI, testing, etc)
  • Make less money

Contract Employee:

Pros:
  • You don't have to do any additional duties (lunch, parent nights, faculty meetings, etc.)
  • Make more money
  • Only have to work your contracted hours
Cons:
  • Benefits - some contract companies give you the option of benefits, however they do not provide incentives such as 401k matching.
  • No planning time - you are only allowed to bill for services directly related to the students. So time taken for planning or lunch is not paid.
  • Feel isolated from other staff members
  • Limited training and PD opportunities
  • You have to purchase your own materials if they are not provided by the school
  • You don't get to pick your school, you get placed.

ONE HUGE MYTH: If you are a CF and are worried about your mentorship with a contract company, there is NO need to worry! Yes, of course some companies provide better mentorship programs than others. As long as you ask the right questions, you have no need to worry!


So which route did I decide to go with...

I ended up going the contractor route! I went this route because I have already been a direct hire and wanted to see what it was like on the other side. Am I going to remain a contracted employee next year? I haven't decided yet! I love the company I work for and my mentor is amazing, but I miss feeling like a member of the faculty. This is only my experience. I have talked to a ton of other contracted employees and their experience is way different. I think it really just depends on the school culture. 

Let me know which route you guys decide on going with!

No comments:

Post a Comment